Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Movie "Courageous"

I went to see the movie "Courageous" yesterday evening and have to say that I was really impressed. While I enjoyed both "Facing the Giants" and "Fireproof," I was disappointed in how the former ended with a "happily ever after" type finish where the family received everything that they had prayed for. That does not always happen in life and could convey that if you trust God, everything will go well for you. God never promised us a life of ease and sometimes His answers to our prayers are "no" because He has a better purpose in store that we just can't quite see with our limited knowledge and vision. This movie though was more true to life. They went some places that surprised me. I found myself both laughing and crying (and I am not ashamed to admit that) throughout the movie. I will be careful not to give away any plot points so as to spoil those who will go out yet and see this movie. I was really encouraged to see the gospel explained on the big screen. Praise God!

Overall, the point they sought to convey was powerful and much needed today. Too many fathers have become lazy. They have become too preoccupied in everything but the central calling that God has given them as husbands and fathers. I see this too often ministering to families. The husband is too passive and not leading his home as God has ordained him to as a godly husband and father. I would encourage every father and anyone who hopes to be a father some day to see this movie. It is a message all desperately need to hear.

I know that there will be some who will say that they would rather not see the movie because it doesn't have as much special effects as something such as "Transformers" and no A-list actors. In fact, most of the actors come from within the church that did the movie itself. However, I would rather watch a clean movie that exalts Christ and teaches a powerful message from His Word any day than some of today's "hollywood trash" with the highest paid acclaimed actors. Praise God for this church and how He continues to use their ministry. May He use this movie to awaken the slumbering fathers and husbands out there and encourage them to live out the role to which God has called them as laid out in Ephesians 5:22-33.

In Christ,
Lee
Soli Deo Gloria!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment