Thursday, December 25, 2008

Prayer is a monologue.

Many people in various denominations in the world view prayer as a dialogue but I don't agree with that thought.

In the O.T. God spoke through prophets and then God came to earth and spoke for Himself in human form. 

Prayer is a monologue.

God no longer speaks to people directly, but mostly through His word and occasionally other people and circumstances. If you have ever been fortunate enough to be the recipient of God working in another person (what I like to call God with skin on) it is a blessed, wonderous experience.

God reaching out through his word is astounding, to be praying fervently for something and then to open your bible and read a passage that speaks directly to you and your experience is a powerful show of His love. 

For Example:

I am disabled, people pray for my healing all the time and one day I had been discouraged by yet another person who was frustrated because they had been praying for me and yet I was not healed, or even slightly better than before. The usual comment of "you must not have enough faith" had come up and I was angry (at them not God). I opened up my bible and staring out at me was a verse I had never read before.

"3 More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." Romans 5:3-5

yet another person had told me I was doing something wrong and that it was MY fault I was disabled, yet here, God was very clearly showing me that it is not from a lack of faith that I am ill! There is good to be had from my inabilities that I may learn to rely on Him and His grace.

So the next time you are praying strongly for something you need or something a loved one needs, open His word.

Soli Deo Gloria

Reformed Anon Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment